Your Computer Lady regularly sends clients 2-5 reports from Google Analytics to show the traffic on their website. It is crucial information so you know what is happening on the site and what information your visitors find worthwhile. Marketing without measurement is not good marketing!
Google has completely re-written Analytics. Yes, it is a whole new program with a totally different structure.
- You can add the new version – Google Analytics 4 – to your site so that it starts gathering data.
- You can continue using the old version AKA Universal Analytics to gather data and run reports.
July 1, 2023
- Google will stop collecting data with the old version of Analytics.
- You will still be able to see your old data in the old version.
- Google will only collect new data with Google Analytics 4.
December 31, 2023
- Google will delete all data and the old version.
We have 1.5 years to get ready for the changeover.
What Needs to Be Done
- Set up Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible to begin collecting data.
- Configure Analytics 4 to gather the data you like.
- Create the reports that you want to use in Analytics 4. Instead of having a limited number of reports to choose from in Universal Analytics, you will be able to create reports in Analytics 4. Better info for sure but more set up work.
Because Analytics 4 is totally different software there is going to be a learning curve.
YCL is already working on the process and learning Analytics 4 so that everyone will be properly set up well before July 2023. We will not wait until the last minute.
I’m bringing this to your attention now so that you will understand the notices you get from Google or news articles that you see. Don’t panic! Your Computer Lady has got your back! I’ll keep you posted as more information becomes available and as I experiment with the YCL website.
If you would like to be added to a special email to be updated on Google Analytics 4, please email Pamela@YourComputerLady.com with the subject “Google Analytics4.” I’ll keep you updated.